With changing times as increasing awareness we all have started opting for ecofriendly products, biodegradable, recyclable products, and we try to replace almost every product which we can, with an ecofriendly sustainable one. One of the major source of chemicals and pollutants in our day to day lives are cleaning solutions and their plastic containers. Now we don’t want to take our hygiene for granted of course, so here is an alternative yet equally effective product – BIOENZYME.
Have you ever observed that the fruit peels we throw out, dry out after some days after which they are reduced in size and ultimately vanish. Ever wondered what happened to them? The microbes ate them up. Yes, the little organisms which cannot be seen with naked eyes, are constantly working on them and breaking down complex materials into simpler ones which can be absorbed by other organisms. This is what biodegradation is all about.
What are bioenzymes?
Bioenzymes are cleaners which are made up of good bacteria which help us clean wastes, stains and odors. They produce certain enzymes which are responsible for break down certain molecules into simpler molecules.
How to make these?
- Instead of throwing peels of your citrusy fruits like citrus, orange, lemons and papaya, banana and pineapples, store them in an air tight container after washing them. You can also cut them in small pieces to accelerate the process.
- Make sure the container is made of plastic, as glass containers can explode due to air pressure.
- In the next step, add some jaggery.
- Lastly add some dry yeast powder and water and let them ferment for around one month.
- Ratio of all the ingredients – 1 part of jaggery, 3 parts of fruit peels, 10 parts of water and 10 to 12 grams of yeast.
- You can also add rotten or dry fruits in the container.
- Make sure to open the container once in a week to release the air which has collected in it.
- Store the container in a warm dry place, away from direct sunlight.
How to use them?
Take the freshly prepared bioenzyme and dilute it according to yourself. For eg., 50 ml would be enough to mop floor of 2 – 3 rooms, 30 ml would be good for your bathroom or kitchen tiles etc. With time you will have the understanding of how much concentration is required.
- The first and obvious benefit is you will save environment from hazardous chemicals.
- These bioenzymes are great for cleaning crevices and cracks.
- Add some soap nuts to it and it will be good enough to clean your oily dishes too.
- You can use the leftover solution to water your plants too as it is completely natural.
- The harmful effects of gases from chemicals and different kind of allergies that can occur can be avoided by the use of bioenzymes.
- You can use these as fertilizers for your plants too.
- You will reduce wet waste of your house.
- They will eliminate harmful bacteria too from your house that too naturally.
- They will continue to sterilize the surface even after you have cleaned it.
- They also help in eliminating bad odours in a much effective manner as compared to chemical cleaners.
- If you have babies or pets in your house, they are completely safe to use.
Next time, instead of throwing away the fruit and fruit peels, try and utilize it for preparation of bioenzymes or fertilizers. This way you will do your bit for the environment and live a healthy and safe lifestyle for yourself too! Also save a lot of money that you would have otherwise spent on buying the chemicals!
Happy fermenting folks!